Microsoft’s current and previous-gen consoles are excellent for gaming, but you can also use them as streaming media hubs with the proper apps. Surprisingly, music streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Deezer, and SoundCloud are compatible with the current Xbox One X|S and Xbox Series X|S consoles.
Though if you are an Apple Music user, you can’t enjoy it on your Xbox gaming console yet. While you wait for official support, we got a seamless workaround for you to try, a third-party app called “AirServer.”
Believe it or not, AirServer allows you to screen mirror or share your music from your iPhone or iPad to your Xbox over AirPlay. Generally, Apple’s wireless streaming protocol is exclusive to their ecosystem, but now you can bypass the restrictions using AirServer.
Read on to learn how to get Apple Music working on Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X consoles. Note that Apple Music listeners on Android won’t be able to take advantage of the following workaround.
Setting up AirServer on Xbox
It’s pretty simple to set up AirServer on Xbox One X|S and Xbox Series X|S, as you won’t have to register for an account or sign in with one. All you have to do is install it from the Microsoft Store and follow the on-screen prompts to set it up with your iPhone or iPad.
While the complete version of AirServer costs $19.99, you can check out the free trial first and then decide if the app is worth paying the full price.
- First, visit the Store tab from your Xbox Home screen, then select the Search tile.
- Next, use the on-screen keyboard to search for the “AirServer” app.
- Select AirServer Xbox Edition from the following search results.
- Now click Free trial to get the AirServer app for free. Optionally, you can BUY the full version from the Store.
- When it’s done installing, click Launch to open AirServer on your Xbox console.
- After that, hit Right on the controller D-pad, followed by pressing A to generate a QR code.
Once you perform the steps, take out your iPhone or iPad and follow the below instructions.
Setting up AirServer Connect on iPhone/iPad
AirPlay is deeply integrated into iOS and iPadOS, making it convenient for users to stream media from their Apple devices to other compatible receivers, such as smart TVs and speakers. What AirServer on your Xbox does is turn it into an AirPlay-compatible receiver.
Now that you have installed AirServer on your Xbox console, it’s time to set it up with the AirServer Connect companion app on your iPhone or iPad. The setup process is seamless and straightforward to follow.
- Start with launching the App Store from your iOS/iPadOS Home screen.
- Head over to the Search tab and enter “AirServer Connect” in the field using the on-screen keyboard.
- Tap Get on the download page and wait for the app to finish installing on your Apple device.
- Now return to the Home screen and open the AirServer Connect app.
- Next, tap the Scan QR Code option. You might be prompted to allow the app access to your device’s camera.
- Scan the QR code shown on the AirServer Xbox app to pair your devices.
That’s it! Your Xbox console should now be able to receive AirServer requests from your iPhone or iPad. Whether you are using headphones or TV speakers for audio, music over AirPlay will play as intended.
Playing Apple Music on Xbox using AirServer
Once you successfully pair your Xbox and iPhone/iPad via the AirServer app, you should be ready to listen to Apple Music through your console. Since they support background audio, you can enjoy your music while gaming!
- Open Apple Music on your iPhone or iPad.
- Next, choose the track or playlist you would like to listen to.
- Tap the AirPlay button in the playback menu.
- Select your Xbox console (e.g., XboxOne 1080p30) from the list of nearby receivers.
In a few moments, Apple Music will start streaming to your Xbox. For volume controls and playback options, you can use your iPhone/iPad or go to the Guide menu on Xbox.
Although we have focused specifically on Apple Music in this article, you can also use AirServer on Xbox with other streaming apps that support AirPlay. Screen mirroring also works over the app, so you get to enjoy your favorite Apple Arcade mobile games on the big screen via your Xbox